Sunday, May 26, 2013

Flying the flag for my nephew

Memorial Day means a lot more to me this year since my nephew Andy enlisted in the Army. He just turned 21 two days ago, but he already bears the scars, both physical and emotional, of his harrowing service in Afghanistan last year.

So I remember him and all the other men and women who truly do make a sacrifice to serve. Their families sacrifice  as well, and also deserve our thoughts and care and concern.

I also remember my dad, who died in February but who served in Army intelligence during the Korean conflict; my brother-in-law Brian, a retired Navy captain, who spent a year in the Green Zone in Baghdad; and all the men in my husband's family who fought during World War II. Some of them didn't make it home; some suffered in prisoner of war camps and on the Bataan Death March.

The words "thank you" don't seem like nearly enough.

1 comment:

Vijaya said...

We're also a military family, Nancy. My brother, BIL, nephew served ... but it didn't sink in until I attended a memorial service in an American cemetery in Belgium on the 50th anniversary of D-Day. I've never forgotten it.